Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Un Petit Post Pour des Petites Madeleines

This morning, (Mercredi, le jour par semaine quand la boulangerie Chezy fais les petites madeleines), I went to the boulangerie on Rue de Chezy for freshly made madeleine cookies. My host-mom had recommended them highly, although she said that the bakery was a bit expensive. In any case, I arrived around 8:30 am and asked for the madeleines. They would not be ready until 9:30 (neuf heure et demi), so I wandered over to the charcuterie-trateur in search of some "terrine des legumes" for my French culture class. We had been given the task to find a pate or a terrine at a market, boucherie, or trateur (deli), buy it and try it. Well, as a vegetarian, there really is only one choice, so I asked the fellow behind the glass counter "aves-vous de terrine des legumes?" He had no idea what I was saying. I have terrible pronunciation. But when I repeated myself, he brought forth a loaf from the back of the shop, and I was actually able to ask him what the ingredients were (carrottes, haricots-verts, champignons, olives, et artichokes), but I had no idea how to buy the stuff. I asked how much "un piece" cost, and he told me that "une tranche" (a slice) was 3 Euro. The slice he cut me ended up costing a little bit more, but my mission was accomplished. I went back to my apartment to put the terrine in the fridge, and then walked back to Chezy for my madeleines.

The woman recognized me from earlier (and also from yesterday, when I came to ask when the cookies were made) and I butchered the phrase "je suis retournee" as she went in the back to get me five fresh madeleines. They were only 2,30 Euro and they were hot! The little wax-paper bag had "dark spots that indicate freshness" (thank you, Garrison Keillor), and the cookies smelled absolutely heavenly. Needless to say, I ate one warm while I was waiting for the bus, and then another on the metro to the Skidmore Center. And then another when I got there. And then the last two after lunch at Paul's (yes, I know, not authentic, but very tasty nevertheless, although not particularly cheap). They were absolutely amazing. I will never be able to have a Starbucks madeleine ever again! They were buttery and spongy, more like little cakes than cookies, really, and had that absolutely indescribable taste (some melding of butter and vanilla, perhaps?) that only madeleines have. And yes, I took pictures. Here they are:

Because I would only buy my namesakes from an award-winning boulangerie...


Inside the boulangerie (and if you look closely you can see the adorable little dog waiting for the woman inside):

My warm, fragrant package:

The cookies nestled in their bag, one already missing:

"A Madeleine in the hand..." is delicious.

The only other news I have is that I found some gorgeous leather boots in a boutique for only 135 Euro (I know, "only"...) and now I'll probably waffle for a few days and then buy them and then regret it and then be absolutely thrilled that I bought them. Such is my wont with big purchases. C'est la vie. Plus la prochain.

No comments:

Post a Comment