Monday, July 13, 2009

The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

Well, it seems that, as I predicted, I have not really kept this up-to-date. I was going to post the other day, when I went to Stop & Shop to return bottles and cans, and discovered that the bottle-return at Stop & Shop is not somewhere you want to be when it has been a rainy week, which it had. It is a very damp and filthy place. And I was wearing flip-flops. Can you get syphilis through your feet? If so, I may have to be concerned. Also, I observed that many people are returning massive quantities of bottles and cans. Sort of like how the coin-return at the bank regularly has had a line recently, and the bags are always filled up. (By the way, my family returned over $1,000 worth of coins. Try it, people.) Recession? Coincidence? I think not. I think it's like the modern bread line. Only not. Because in this recession, we have iPods. And MacBooks. And Central AC. 

So then I was going to post on the 4th of July, which really is a lot of fun in my former hometown of Willimantic Connecticut. We have the only boom-box parade in the state. Maybe in the world. Jodi Rell comes to our parade. Don't mess. Also, the parade was on the FIRST actual sunny day in forever. However, this year I noticed a bothersome lack of boom-boxes. I guess they're hard to come by these days, what with technology. And the recession. So for the rest of the day, I got to eat deep-fried everything at the Semi-Annual 4th of July Deep-Fried Freake-Fest (I coined part of that term). Seriously, we deep-fried everything. Oreo's, Twinkies (I have actually never had a normal Twinkie, and probably never will), candy bars, oatmeal-chocolate-chip-cookies, tortillas, potatoes, and even a lobster (which I did not eat, as I am a vegetarian and also took the liberty of naming the lobster Craig). Note: Lobsters cannot be deep-fried whole, they must be boiled first and their meat may later be battered and deep-fried. But if you deep-fry a lobster tail, God will strike you down. Or someone will. Someone who really likes lobster tail. 

Then I was going to post because I made Turkish Eggplant Salad, fresh whole-wheat pita bread (and burned myself to boot), and still more Tzatziki. But it really wasn't that astonishing to look at, and you can't capture the smell of fresh-baked pita bread and put it on the internet, so I didn't bother. 

Then I was going to post because I made pizza, and they were really some gorgeous pizzas, with fresh sauce that you could absolutely eat on its own, but my house was erupting and the fire alarm was going off and the dogs were barking and my folks were in a sour mood so I was just happy to get the damned pizza on the table. When I made pizza again, I only had whole-wheat dough, so the pizzas were flat and quite crispy (actually pretty tasty, now that I think about it), and although I arranged the peppers and onions beautifully, I had company, so I really didn't want to have a pizza photo-shoot. Also, the memory card on my camera is full, and doesn't seem to realize that I have already deleted almost every photo... What to do... 

So now I am posting because my friend Jacob made me huevos rancheros this morning (I helped with the sauce last night as well as the assembly in the morning, but really, he made them) and they were super-ultra-delicious and I am so going to make them for dinner sometime but I really just needed an excuse to update this silly thing. So I hope anyone reading this enjoys my elaborate procrastination and rationalization. And thank you Jacob. 

No comments:

Post a Comment