Thursday, January 6, 2011

Off to Sea Once More...

Well hello there, I suppose it's time to begin blogging again, as I find myself in London for five whole months. It's only my second day but I'm so exhausted and have done so many things it feels like a week. It's after 4am here in London, but thanks to jet-lag I can't sleep, so I suppose I shall write.

I got into Heathrow yesterday morning at 7am, took forever in the customs line, then looked for the shuttle my program director had promised, and upon finding no shuttle took an express train to Heathrow Central intending to take a coach bus to Victoria Park, but ending up taking the tube. Now, I saved a bunch of money, which is very important in a place like London, BUT I had a hellish time getting my luggage into the tube, making a changeover, then walking three blocks from the nearest station (London Bridge) to my residence hall. Really, how could my luggage have been that heavy? It wasn't overweight at the airport... Anyway, my shoulders still ache.

Finally, I arrived at Wolfson house, quickly unpacked some essentials, then took a bus to Strand campus for registration. I was about an hour late, but it didn't seem to matter, as everyone else was still lined up and I got through the process fine. Then I spent about an hour in a Starbucks smelling the familiar smell and feeling terribly homesick and exhausted. Then we had a bit of a welcome lecture at 2, and were told all manner of things about King's and London and I tried my damnednest not to fall asleep in my seat. Afterward, I walked back to Wolfson house with a friend, and in the evening had a little wine-and-beer get-together in the common room and met all the study abroad students staying here, as well as a few regular students. Then a bit of dinner and... can't sleep. Didn't fall asleep until about 2am, and I had to get up at 9 this morning. Oh, the wonders of international travel. If only I could teleport home for a hot shower and a sleep in my own bed - did I mention that Wolfson doesn't provide linens? Well, they don't. I have no sheets, just a pillow and duvet. And no towels. So no showering until I buy some. I suppose I'm still adapting.

Today was a bit better, as I'd gotten at least some sleep (I'd slept only about 2 or 3 hours on the plane, and fitfully at that - I can't sleep upright, or on moving things), and I had the English Department welcome and a lecture on student life in London, then walked to Tesco to do a bit of grocery shopping before a student union event at the Waterfront Bar. On which walk I took this photo, my first in London:


It's right on Waterloo Bridge. See, there's the London Eye, and Big Ben, and a tiny bit of Westminster... and that's about all I know right now. I'll post more pictures once I do more exploring.

Anyway, grocery shopping, bus back home, tube to the Waterfront, silly pub quiz, met lots of lovely new people, and then went out for a night on the town. In fact, I didn't get home until 3:30am. But that sort of adventuring isn't for blogging about, now is it? So I'll leave it at that, and maybe try to get some sleep... Still can't believe I'm really here. Blimey.

No comments:

Post a Comment