Friday, May 28, 2010

Grapefruit Moon

Hello again, yet another lovely summer afternoon on which I happen to have nothing to do. The thing is, I was doing some thinking about where this blog ought to go now that I'm back from Paris and won't be going abroad again until January 2011, and I realized that maybe it could use some poetry. This relates to the blog title how? Well, first of all, the moon was full last night (or almost full, I never know about these things, in any case, it was lovely). But more importantly I once heard my most recent (and most favorite) poetry professor singing "Grapefruit Moon" (a Tom Waits song, for those of you who are not familiar with it, though I doubt anyone reading this wouldn't know) in the hallway, and that is how she became my favorite poetry professor. See? It relates to poetry. Also, I just really love that song.

You know, to follow this vein a bit more, I got Tom Waits' The Early Years, Vol. 1 for my birthday (the counterpart to Vol. 2, on which "Grapefruit Moon" can be found) and I am simply loving it, so I figured it deserved a little plug, no matter how long ago it came out. The Early Years set shows off a really interesting, softer side of Waits, one that's more traditional rock, and one that is arguably quite a bit easier on the ears than the likes of Bone Machine or The Black Rider, for which even I have to really be in the mood. I would have to say that my favorite song on the album at the moment is "Ice Cream Man," but "Had Ma A Girl" is also bouncing around in my head. And one really can't forget about the sweet, tender strains of "I'm Your Late Night Evening Prostitute" (sounds sarcastic, doesn't it? Funny thing is, it's not). By which I mean, whoever happens to be reading this should really give the album a listen, if they haven't already. Also, they should buy it.

But, back to the future of this blog. I suppose I could keep on rambling about what's on my mind day-to-day, but I really would like to include some actual writing. So I think I will start out just by posting a link to my deviantART account - a website where artists can post their work, supposedly to get feedback from other artists, but in practice rather overpopulated with largely unhelpful pre-teens. Anyway, you can find my poetry here:

http://white-apple-parasol.deviantart.com/

Maybe as new work arises I will begin to put it here, or maybe I will just go back to summer adventures with food and philosophy. We'll just have to see, now won't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment